Thursday, March 30, 2006

Argus Leader Profiles PostSecret Blogger

I am a big fan of honesty. Though I don't always hit the mark in being 100% truthful (would you tell your girlfriend that, yes, she does look like she's gained weight?), I try my best to be open, honest and candid in my friendships, in my relationships and in my discourse with God. That's why I'm a big fan of the the postsecret blog. It was started by Frank Warren as an art project, but grew into so much more. People mail in postcards (anonymously) and reveal their deepest secrets. Here is a quote from the article:


"I've been surprised every step of the way," Warren says. "I'm just a typical suburban husband. I'm an 'accidental' artist. It's been quite a journey, quite an adventure."

And all because of his blog, postsecret.blogspot. com. It started out as Warren's temporary community art project. Now it's where thousands of Americans go to anonymously post their deepest secrets, and where millions of Americans go to read them. Secret-tellers - call them "confessors" - send their secrets to his home in Germantown, Md., in suburban Washington, on postcards they decorate themselves. Warren reads every one and picks 10 to 20 to post on his blog every Sunday.




I find it all so interesting (and refreshing) to look at the postcards posted on his site, because, though our society is supposedly so 'open' now, it's clear that many of us are hiding secrets ranging from innocent to mind-blowing. Why is it so much easier for some people to share their deepest thoughts in an anonymous forum? Perhaps because the people in their lives are not as accepting as they'd like them to be. Or maybe people are just not ready to reveal themselves in all their flawed imperfection.

Whatever the case, I think it's good that a site like postsecret exists. It helps us to know we are not alone (almost everyone has done or thought something that makes them feel ashamed) and hopefully inspires us to be just a little more honest in our own lives. And - to all my girlfriends - you look great! Even if you have gained 10, 20 or 50 pounds, you are still the beautiful human being you've always been! Trust me....

Peace

No comments: